Add This

Bookmark and Share

Monday, October 5, 2009

Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do ~ Dr. Robert Schuller


So, today's topic is of a more serious nature than most on this page. As you may infer from the title, I try to highlight the positive aspects - the silver linings, if you will - in this messy, crazy yet BEAUTIFUL life we are all given. Throw in a little ADHD, my quirky sense of humor and, voila!, you have the crazy, beautiful mess that is this page! Yet, while I want this page to be a place people can come to get a laugh or a reminder that this IS a beautiful life we all have been given, it is by that same token that I feel it is incumbent upon me to address some of the harsh realities that effect so many of us. In a way, it is a vicious cycle: trials and adversity tend to yield some of the most inspiring stories, quotations, and movements that serve as shining examples of what the human soul is capable of dealing with. These battles some of us are forced to fight provide the rest of us with proof that we are not only capable of waging that battle, but of doing so with grace and poise. These are some of our unsung heroes and examples of what we should strive to be. At the very least, they are our our mothers, sisters, and, above all, fellow human beings. Yes, we all have our own problems. But, as the Dalai Lama says, "If you wish to experience peace, provide peace for another."

On that note, and in the spirit of October being Nation Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I am attempting to eliminate two of the most common excuses for doing nothing: "I didn't know what to do" or "No matter what I do, I don't have that much time so it won't even make a difference". First, here is an EASY way to do SOMETHING: click on the link above and sign up for reminders. That's right: The Breast Cancer Site will email you to remind you to take two seconds out of your day and click on a pink button. Each time you click it, that tiny, seemingly insignificant action, results in money being donated to support a variety of resources for people who can't afford them and research that could save the life of someone close to you. This site is also a wonderful resource for those who want to make more of a contribution, be it financial or otherwise. You can sign petitions, send cards to friends, encouraging them to get involved or even purchase a variety of merchandise, from which a portion of the proceeds are donated to the cause.

If you want to know of even more ways to get involved, feel free to contact me. Regardless of your interest, I'm very passionate about giving back, when I have had so much given to me. Chances are, if you're interested in getting involved, I can point you in the right direction.

However, I am not writing this in the hopes that you all will quit your jobs and volunteer for the rest of your lives. I'm simply asking you to click one extra button a day to help out someone else.




I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars. ~ Og Mandino

No comments:

Post a Comment